What is the goal of your Christian life?
Why do you want to read the Bible and pray?
Why do you want to be Christlike and grow?
Why do you want to be forgiven?
Why do you want to go to heaven?
Why do you want to be pure and holy?
Some will answer: because I don’t want the feeling of guilt, I don’t want to go to hell, I don’t want the consequence of sin, I want to do something great or be great and mature as a christian or as a person.
There’s nothing wrong with those answers, in fact I also want them. But as I ponder about it, I’ve realized that those reasons can be somehow self centered and inadequate depending on the motivation of our hearts.
I think the ultimate question is not what is your goal, but WHO IS YOUR GOAL?
Because God created us for Him and He gave us a heart that He alone can truly fill. Therefore the end goal of everything we do and desire must be Him.
- You should want to read the Bible and pray not just for the sake of doing it but because you want to spend time with God.
- You should want to be Christlike and grow not just for the sake of showing you are mature but for the sake of honoring God and showing the result of your dependence on Him.
- You should want to be forgiven not just because you don’t want the guilt or consequences of sin but because you want God and you want to restore the relationship you have from Him.
- You should want to go to heaven not just because of the joy, comfort and beauty of it but because God is there. I think it was John Piper who said this “If God is not in heaven will you still go there?”, our answer to that question will show what we deeply value in our hearts.
- You should want to be holy and pure because your goal is to be with God freely. Furthermore, one of the secrets to purity is to walk humbly beside God, for when you are walking with Him all other things will follow.
Again, as a heart check for all of us: whatever it is that we are doing, the ultimate question is not just WHAT is our goal, but WHO is our goal? I hope that our answer will be: GOD HIMSELF.